Tuesday 1 March 2011

Collage of image







Two different books, designed by two different designers. But appear to have a very similar design resolution. A cluster of images (relating to the novel) in the center with layered text over the top, personally I think the bottom design works best.

During the tutorial last week I discussed why I liked the cover for 'After the fire...' and it was suggested that I produce my own version, suitable for 100 years of solitude in the same style. I thought this was a grate idea so got to work and researched some plants and wildlife that are found in Columbia. I chose a bird of Paradise, a white Lilly and a butterfly to reference the Gypsy's in the novel. I drew some line drawings based on the photographs and positioned them to make up the book cover. I then realized this design wasn't working out! I attempted to add some color in illustrator, but found it difficult and the result just ended up looking a mess.
The images are hard to distinguish and the type is lost amongst it, this is not a good design for a book cover. Back to the drawing board.