Sunday 6 March 2011

Alternative movie poster designs

The designer of the poster below, has created an effective 'worn, eroded' texture. I think it has a good use of layout and font. The hint of soft yellow contrast well with the cold, black of the tress and bold titled font.
This appearance would also be suitable to set the tone for 'The rise of the apes' promotion. As the film is set in the future when Apes have taken over and all human matter has become ruins and disrepair.
I think I could produce a similar effect by printing/ stamping with thick ink, pigment or paint and scanning this texture into the computer then apply to the design for digital print. Or for a more hand crafted appearance I could screen print with thick pigment onto a textured stock.





I like the combination of vector image and type in the below poster designs. The red, black and white colour pallet visualizes the thriller genera of 'The birds'. I particularly like the propeller vector used to distort the font of aviator, not only does this identify the film is about plans but also informs the year the film is set in. They are both minimal with clear in communication, I am going to keep this in mind when designing for 'The rise of the apes promotion'.